|Toronto Police Service
Public Safety Alert, Please be aware of wallet and purse Thefts, and debit card Fraud
Wednesday, July 12, 2017 – 2:39 PM
The Toronto Police Service would like to encourage the public to be aware of a recent increase in wallet and purse thefts.
It is reported that:
– wallets and purses are being stolen from people while they are distracted
– the incidents have occurred while victims were eating at restaurants and food courts
– suspects have taken advantage of victims who either hang their purses over chairs, or left wallets in the pocket of jackets which were hanging on the back of chairs
– the credit/debit cards of the victims are then immediately used to make purchases using the tap feature and, in some cases, the security access codes are changed, permitting the suspects to make withdrawals and further purchases
– some victims have lost thousands of dollars
Police are reminding the public to keep their valuable belongings in view at all times, making sure your property is always visible. Protect your security access codes while making purchases.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-5200, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes, Google Play or Blackberry App World.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Constable Allyson Douglas-Cook, Corporate Communications, for Detective Constable Phillip Gayle, 52 Division
There are no files attached to this release.